Sunday, February 16, 2014

Caspar Crogan and Ursula Bermudes

I’ve been working my way back down the Crogan family tree for years now, finding out fascinating tidbits about history as I go.  I’ve gotten back to the Battle of Hastings in 1066, though I haven’t designed the look of the twenty-three pre-Catfoot generations, mostly because I know that they’ll not fit on the tree in the end-papers, and I’m hesitant to move earlier than the 1600s for language reasons.  But I've got designs for the mid-1500s onwards.

In any case, I’m going to start sharing some of those designs.  I thought about releasing a new tree, but I thought this way would be more fun, and might stretch things out.  I also figured it’s about time I shared the moms along with the dads.

First up, Caspar Crogan, an arquebusier in the Portugese Expeditionary Force to Ethiopia, and Ursula Bermudes, bodyguard to Queen Sabla Wangel, as they would have looked in 1543 during the Abyssinian-Adal War.


Ursula has clunky leather slippers over her shows.  This was a thing in the mid-sixteenth century to keep your shoes from getting super awful in mud and manure and the like.

More to come!  Hopefully I'll put up new pairs every week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment